Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Feel Good Muesli Bar....the consequences of too much Pain!

So The Boss and I have just returned from his swimming lesson, it was rudely cut short by an 'incident' in the pool, nothing to do with us, thank god! I refrained from expressing my disgust, as I am guessing this can happen to any parent at any time. Its a bit like when I use to board planes and see children getting on, I am not a religious person, but I truly use to pray that the children would be sitting far far away from me. I am guessing I will be punished for my intolerance, at some point in the future, although I suspect we are a long way off jet setting by air.


Anyway, onto a more savoury topic...food. We managed to devour the bulk of the pastry's, I snuck two into the freezer, a pathetic attempt at self control. As a result of our unrestrained gluttony, I have made some muesli slice. This is not just regular muesli slice, there is so much goodness in this recipe, I don't know where to begin. A friend of mine kindly delivered a mountain of it when I first had The Boss, and she said it was a life saver for those moments when you have never felt so hungry in all your life. Breastfeeding seems to suck every calorie from your body, something I am very grateful for of course. But to avoid turning to a packet of Tim Tams, I found this muesli slice has been fabulous! Mr Hooper even agrees, and gobbles it up with glee (well maybe not glee, lets just say he will eat it).




So you need to get to the supermarket and head straight for the bulk bins as they will have pretty much everything you need, aside from the pantry staples:
125g butter
200g raw sugar
1 egg
125g wholemeal flour
1/2 tspn baking soda
125g rolled oats
30g pumpkin seeds
30g sunflower seeds
30g sesame seeds
30g slivered almonds
25g ground linseed
25 shredded coconut
50g dried apricots
50g raisins

Melt Butter. When cooled add sugar and egg, mix well.

In separate bowl mix all the other ingredients together.
Mix dry ingredients into butter mixture. I get my hands in there to make sure everything is mixed well. It might seem quite dry, but once it is all mixed, and pressed firmly into a 25cm square tin, it should be ready for baking. I use an expandable tin, to make things easier.

Bake at 180C for approx 10-15 minutes, depending on depth of mixture and how chewy you want it.




Turn it out of the tin before it is completely cooled and cut into pieces.








I mix things up with the dried fruit, I have made batches with crystallised ginger instead of raisins, and that was really good.


So with this slice of goodness you are getting all the great things LSA has to offer, such as digestive regularity, B vitamins, Omega 3 and fibre. As well as a great Zinc fix from the pumpkin and sesame seeds, which is essential in a good diet. Most importantly I have been loading up on Zinc as I started loosing hair by the handful when The Boss hit the 3 month mark. So if you are suffering from breastfeeding baldness, then this is the slice for you! I am encouraged by the knowledge the hair loss is not permanent, but right now my hair is a disaster site, thank goodness for elastic bands and headbands.


Make this slice for your friends who have had babies, its a good excuse to pay a visit, or make it for yourself, just because it is yummy and makes you feel so good.



Have a fab wednesday.

6 comments:

  1. Someone commented on a forum how lovely these were and I can't wait to give them a go! Thanks for sharing with us and keep up the great blog, fab photography and lovely prose x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chloe,
    Thanks for your message, so glad you are enjoying Busy Peas! Enjoy the slice.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is amazing how one gets to read blogs through other sites. I came upon your blog and especially this entry as I was dutifully reading my babycentre Uk monthly input. And this recipe was a link posted in a comment for one of the articles there.This is my second baby and you think you know it all. But each pregnancy and each baby can be completely different.Two points where so relevant to me .. one: I am so hungry i just go and eat ice cream right out of the tub just before i hit the bed and especially when I am frustrated with parenting and husbanding(if that can ever get into the dictionary). I have been loosing hair like crazy and was wondering what was happening. This is one thing that looks good on me and that was falling away! I have never heard of breastfeeding baldness and i am glad that it is a fact and that i know it now. i am def going to make this first thing in the morning since we already have all the ingredients as we sometimes put these in our morning muesli breakfast! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Manju,
    Thank you for your comment. My boy is now nearly 7 months, and my hair is still pretty lifeless, hopefully it will be back to normal soon! I hope the slice went well, it is so yummy!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look yumm im gonna have a go at cooking these thanks busy peas :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have all enjoyed making this slice, I have tried out a new muesli slice which is incredibly delicious and even easier to make, check it out at... http://busypeas.blogspot.com/2010/08/best-muesli-sliceever.html

    ReplyDelete