Thursday, June 10, 2010

Best of the week....Corn and Coriander Pancakes

As I draw towards the end of my first official week of blogging, I am feeling quite reflective about the future prospects of busy peas. If anything it will be very handy to have an on line record of all my fav recipes but I hope that it will eventually be a useful source of scrumptiousness for others as well....so I will persist, Rome was not built in a day (corny I know, but as I said I am feeling reflective!).


So to remain true to the 'Rough Guide' Friday is dedicated to a meal that featured as a highlight from the culinary week that was. This week it has to be the corn pancakes we had for dinner on Wednesday night. Now Mr Hooper is a hard man to please (bearing in mind he is content to eat ham and cheese sammies every single day of his life), and when I asked for his feedback he said they were good, but would be better if I took the corn out, which would essentially make them a pancake, which would mean eating pudding for dinner, which would please him very much.

I love pancakes, and have modified a pancake recipe a little to create these delicious savoury treats....


1 cup self raising FLOUR
1 cup BUTTERMILK
2 EGGS
1/4 cup POLENTA
1/2 tspn BAKING SODA
1/2 cup chopped CORIANDER leaves
1 tspn fresh CHILI, deseeded and sliced
pinch of CAYENNE PEPPER
1/4 tspn SALT
1 can whole kernel CORN drained
40g melted BUTTER




With a whisk, mix everything together in a bowl except the melted butter. Just before you start cooking the pancakes, add the butter and whisk until well mixed.

Warm the oven up and have a tray ready to put the pancakes in while you cook them all. Add some butter to a frying pan and melt, don't let the pan get too hot as you will end up with black pancakes. Spoon mixture onto a well buttered frying pan, wait till bubbles appear and then flip. You want them to be a lovely golden colour.

If you don't have polenta in the pantry, just leave it out, I found it gives the pancakes slightly more texture and bite, but they will still be tasty without it.

We ate these with some strips of streaky bacon, cooked until crispy....divine! Along with a salad of baby spinach leaves, tomato and red onion. These would also be fantastic as miniature pancakes served as a nibbly snack before dinner, topped with perhaps a dollop of sour cream.


I can't wait for my random recipe to be selected tonight! Have a fabulous Friday.

1 comment: